Top Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should I complete the tasks in the 'Get Started' guide?
Completing the 'Get Started' mini guide will help you to understand the various different features and functions of MegaCloud and reward you an extra 500MB of storage space for free.
2. Are there any size limits on my files?
If you are uploading files via the MegaCloud desktop application there is no limit to the file size, providing you have enough available space on your account.
However, when uploading a file via the website there is a maximum size limit of 300MB per file.
3. How do I upload new files to my MegaCloud?
Enter the folder you wish to upload your file in. Click 'Upload' and then select the files you wish to upload.
If your browser supports HTML5, you can simply drag files directly from your hard drive and then 'drop' them onto the MegaCloud website.
Simply drag and drop the desired files into the MegaCloud folder, your files will then be synced and uploaded to your MegaCloud account automatically.
4. How to upload files via Email?
To begin with you'll need a unique username in order to upload via Email.
- Point the mouse over your account name (located on the top right corner of your browser) and select 'Edit Profile'.
- If you see the option 'Create Username', it means you haven't set your username as of yet.
(If you do NOT see this option please refer to step 4)
- Enter this tab and choose your unique username.
- Once your username has been chosen, the tab will be changed to 'Email Upload & Referral Link'.
(Please note that this means that you have your username has been set your username and you have enabled the Email Upload & unique Referral Link functions)
Under Files, click 'Upload' and then 'Via Email' - you will now see your Email Upload address.
With this email you can do the following:
- Send Emails with attachments (less than 100 MB) to the Email address.
Attachments sent to this Email address will be located in MegaCloud > Upload via Email.
- Subject of emails will be added as a comment on the file.
- You can also RESET your email address or DISABLE this feature anytime under the 'Email Upload & unique Referral Link' tab.
5. How can I get more storage space?
If you need more storage space, MegaCloud offers you plenty of ways to get it!
The quickest way of adding a little extra room to your account is by completing the tasks in Get Started to earn an additional 500MB.
By using our referral service you can earn an additional 10GB of extra storage space with both you and your referrer earning 500MB of bonus space each.
6. What is the function of the 'Activities' tab?
This tab is where you can find all of your actions taken whilst using MegaCloud. Use this to see when you specifically uploaded a file and other record related information.
7. Will MegaCloud keep all the versions of my files?
Yup! Every time a file is saved, MegaCloud will keep the previous versions so you can always go back and make revisions on older versions.
With a Free Account, MegaCloud will keep previous versions of each of your file for 30 days. However, Premium Account users (eg. 100GB and 200GB) will be able to keep all previous versions FOREVER!
8. How do I restore previously deleted files / folders?
Simply click 'Show Removed Files' and search for the file/folder you wish to restore. Click the space next to your selection to access the action menu, from here you can choose to either 'Restore File' or 'Restore Folder' to return the item to your account.
9. Can MegaCloud bring me back my files after a hard disk failure?
Why of course, protecting your data is one of the key benefits of using MegaCloud!
All of the files in your MegaCloud folder are synced and stored on MegaCloud's servers, which means that any hard disk failures you might have will not affect the files on your MegaCloud account.
Once you get back online, you can login to your MegaCloud account and all your files will be ready and waiting for you, just how you left them.
With MegaCloud you'll never lose a file again!
10. File editing?
You can now edit your files online and directly in MegaCloud thanks to our brand new document editor. Quickly open, edit and save your documents without having to download anything.
MegaCloud's editor currently supports .doc/.xls/.ppt and .text files only.
1. How do I download and install the MegaCloud desktop app on Windows?
Access the page 'Install MegaCloud' to download the desktop app. Once downloaded, simply run it and go through the setup process to install MegaCloud on your desktop.
If you are a new user, a MegaCloud folder will be created on your computer allowing you to sync files with your MegaCloud account.
Existing users can log in to their account and they will have their stored items automatically synced to the newly created MegaCloud folder.
2. Why have I got a folder called 'MegaCloud' on my computer and what is it?
This folder is your MegaCloud synchronization folder.
Any information saved in this destination will automatically be synced to your MegaCloud account so that you can access the files wherever you go.
3. How do I unlink a computer from my MegaCloud account?
Within the 'My Devices' page, there will be a list of computers displaying those linked with your MegaCloud account. To unlink a computer, simply select the device from the list and then choose 'Unlink'.
4. Changing the Camera Upload settings
Camera Upload is a new function to MegaCloud that lets you automatically upload images and video directly from your phone, camera, memory card or any other removable device.
Using Camera Upload will allow you to earn up to 2GB of bonus storage once the following criteria has been met
- Trigger Camera Upload > 500MB
- Uploaded 100 images and videos via Camera Upload > 500MB
- Upload 200 images and videos via Camera Upload > 500MB
- Upload 300 images and videos via Camera Upload > 500MB
In order to get the most out of this brand new feature you will need to turn on Windows AutoPlay which will allow you automatically import files to MegaCloud.
Your AutoPlay settings can be found in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > AutoPlay.
Step by step
Please note that in order to use AutoPlay we advise that your client is up to date
1. Right click the MegaCloud desktop icon in the system tray and select Options
2. Click the AutoPlay Settings button from the Camera Upload section
- To enable the Camera Upload feature select Import pictures and video with MegaCloud
- To disable Camera Upload, simply click the chosen device and select Manual upload
1. Is the "free" 16GB Storage and Backup account really a trial with a time limit?
Absolutely not! When we say free we really do mean FREE.
When you sign up for a free account you'll receive a unique dual account of 8GB for File Storage and 8GB for Backup that will remain free without time limit.
Alternatively, if the storage or backup limit on your account is no longer enough to suit your needs, you can either refer friends for additional space or upgrade your account to 100GB or 200GB at any time.
2. How do I change my password?
To keep your account safe, it is a good idea to frequently change the password of your account.
After logging into MegaCloud, click your user name on the top right hand corner and enter the 'Edit Profile' menu, from here you'll be able to update your password.
3. Am I able to use a new email address for my existing account?
Yes, you can change your associated email address anytime you like. Simply login to your MegaCloud account and click your user name on the top right hand corner to begin.
From here select the 'Profile' tab and click 'Edit Email' to enter the new email address (which will be your new login ID on MegaCloud) you wish to use with your account.
Please be sure that you enter your new email address correctly otherwise, your files will be lost and might become accessible by the owner of the mistaken email address.
1. How much bandwidth will be taken by using MegaCloud?
With MegaCloud, you are in complete control of your bandwidth, allowing you to set limits on the maximum uploading and downloading speed whenever you need to.
But don't despair, you don't have to be a computer expert to get the best out of MegaCloud! Thanks to a smart detection system, MegaCloud will take less bandwidth when you are working on your computer and more when your computer is idle, ensuring that syncing doesn't affect your work.
2. How can I change the bandwidth settings?
Simply right click the MegaCloud desktop application and select 'Options' and then 'Bandwidth' from the menu. Within the Bandwidth menu there are two sections, one is for 'Upload Speed' and the other one controls the 'Download Speed'.
On each section, there are three options to choose from such as:
No limit to upload speed
Limit upload speed automatically
Limit upload speed to: 100KB / s
3. How do I link a computer to my MegaCloud account?
To link a computer to your MegaCloud account, simply install the MegaCloud desktop app (Install MegaCloud) and enter your pre-existing login details during the setup process.
Once this setup has been completed, all the files in your account will be synced to the newly created MegaCloud folder on your computer linking your desktop and MegaCloud account.
4. How many computers can be linked to my MegaCloud account?
MegaCloud has no limit on the amount of devices you can link to your MegaCloud account so you are free to connect your account to as many devices as you like.
5. How can I check the number of computers linked to my MegaCloud?
To see what devices are linked to your account, simply click your name > 'My Devices' and you'll be able to see the names of all devices linked with your account.You can also Rename and Unlink devices from this page too.
6. Connect with iOS and Android devices
MegaCloud is now fully supported on both iOS and Android compatible devices- giving you the ability to backup, sync and share your files on the go even easier than ever before.
Download the official MegaCloud app from iTunes or Google Play to get started, once downloaded, simply log in to your existing account to connect your mobile device to your MegaCloud account.
Alternatively, if you're a new user you can create an account via either device just as you would on a Mac or PC.
1. What is Versioning?
Every time a file is edited or temporarily deleted, MegaCloud keeps a record- this process is what we call 'Versioning'.
With Versioning, MegaCloud gives you the ability to revisit any previous versions or deleted files as well as review the changes made.
Versioning for Premium users is unlimited, meaning that you can keep older versions of your files for as long as you wish.
However, Free users will only have access to archived versions of files for 30 days.
2. When does MegaCloud work?
MegaCloud works constantly and silently the background whilst you use your computer.
When you turn on your computer, MegaCloud checks to see if you are using the most up-to-date files on your computer. If your files are out of date, MegaCloud calculates the difference between your files on the cloud and those in your computer and then will intuitively download the changes made to the files.
When you save work to your MegaCloud folder, it will sync the changes you made and record it as a new version, meaning that opening this file via the website or any computers which are linked with your MegaCloud account will always provide you with the most updated version.
3. Can I select a specific file to sync/ not to sync?
By default, all files in the MegaCloud folder will be synced automatically. However, if you don't want a specific file or folder in your MegaCloud folder to be synced with your account, you can simply use the Selective Sync function to specify what is uploaded.
Selective Sync allows you to control which folders will sync with your MegaCloud account.
To select a folder, please right click the MegaCloud icon on your system tray and select 'Options'. Next, choose 'Advanced' on the menu and click 'Selective Sync' to uncheck the folders you don't wish to sync with your account.
Remember to click the 'OK' button to confirm your changes.
1. When I invite others to my group folder, there is an option to import my email contacts. Is it safe?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to import your email contacts to MegaCloud as we do not store your email password or contact information.
MegaCloud provides this feature to let you easily import the contacts from your email account instead of entering emails individually.
You can use this function under the 'Friends' tab.
1. What are the prices for MegaCloud?
MegaCloud has several storage solutions available to ensure that there is something to suit everyone's needs.
1. Dual 8GB Free Account - 8GB Storage and 8GB Backup account
2. 100GB storage space for $9.99 / month, or $99.00 / year
3. 200GB storage space for $19.99 / month, or $199.00 / year
2. What are the payment methods offered by MegaCloud?
At present, MegaCloud's premium accounts can only be purchased via PayPal.
Once you have selected the package which suits your needs, you will be redirected to the PayPal website to make the payment.
3. How can I cancel my free account?
Since your account is free of charge, we naturally encourage you to keep it as you can always come back and use the account and any new features added to MegaCloud in the future.
However, if you still wish to cancel your account, please contact us and the MegaCloud team will take care of your request.
1. I still have further questions; how can I contact MegaCloud directly?
Please use the contact us form to speak to our support team directly.